“America The Musical” appeared on the Castle Forecourt Stage from 1987-1989. I have seen a few conflicting sources that say it ended in 1988 and a few that mention a tribute to Mickey for his 60th birthday that continued throughout 1989. The back of the photos in my collection say March 1989, so I can confirm that it did play through 1989. Looking through the Unofficial Guide (Sehlinger) from 1989 and the Official Guide (Birnbaum) from 1990 provides no information about shows performed at the Castle Forecourt Stage.
Here is a close-up of one of the banners with the name of the production and the times it appeared throughout the day
There is a video of the show on YouTube that gives a great overview of the show.
October 2011 marks the 40th anniversary of the opening of the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida. The Vacation Kingdom has seen a lot of changes over the past four decades and the editorial staff at Imaginerding wants to celebrate the unique and rich history of the resort with a series of posts.
A very special thanks to Celeste Cronrath for designing the series of logos for our posts. Make sure to follow her on Twitter.
- Your Guide to Walt Disney World 1978: Celebrating 40 Years of Walt Disney World History (imaginerding.com)
- Imagineering the Magic Kingdom Concept Art Part One (imaginerding.com)
- Book Review: Disney’s America on Parade (imaginerding.com)
- DVD Review: Magic Kingdom Imagineering the Magic (imaginerding.com)
- D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Celebration Merchandise (imaginerding.com)
- Bibliography of Walt Disney World Books (imaginerding.com)
- Celebrating 40 Years of Walt Disney World History: Haunted Mansion Details (imaginerding.com)