Dumbo Live-Action Extras and Features
Did you happen to catch Tim Burton’s live-action Dumbo in the theaters?
I’m not a fan of the live-action remakes and I usually wait until they are released on blu-ray and digital download before watching. Disney sent a review copy of the blu-ray and digital download, so I gave the film a try. The Dumbo live-action didn’t get the best reviews from critics or fans, so I wasn’t expecting too much. Needless to say, I was more impressed than I thought I would be. As with most Tim Burton films, Dumbo is a breathtaking film. The colors are gorgeous and every scene pops.
The story deviates somewhat as the focus shifts from Dumbo to his adopted human family. There is undeniable charm in the CGI Dumbo that is matched by the immersive backgrounds, but there are times when the movie falls flat. The saving grace of the film is the world created by Burton and his crew. Of course, being the big theme park nerd the I am, I had to suspend my disbelief during the Dreamland sequences. There were a lot of amusement attractions that simply could not exist at the time. But it was interesting that the Vandevere character was a cross between Ripley, Ringling and Disney. The Dreamland park was very reminiscent of the Pleasure Island park featured in Pinocchio.
Let’s take a look at the extras included in the release:
BLU-RAY & DIGITAL HD:
- CIRCUS SPECTACULARS: Dumbo’s cast share their experience of making the film—and get to the heart of a story about family and believing in yourself.
- THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM: Explore how one of Disney’s most lovable characters went from an animated classic to a stunning live-action retelling.
- BUILT TO AMAZE: Get a closer look at the film’s production and costume design.
- DELETED SCENES: A compelling collection of scenes that almost made the final film. Roustabout Rufus Pachyderm Plans The Other Medici Brother Monkey Business A Star Is Born Where’s Dumbo Elephant Heist A Seat at the Show
- EASTER EGGS ON PARADE: Discover the hidden and not-so-hidden nods to the animated Dumbo in this narrated tribute to the Disney classic.
- CLOWNING AROUND: Laugh along with the cast in a collection of big-top bloopers and goofs from the set.
- “BABY MINE”: Visual video performed by Arcade Fire DIGITAL EXCLUSIVE:
- DREAMLAND – ANATOMY OF A SCENE: From Final Script to Final Scene: The filmmakers and cast talk a lot about the feeling of “grand intimacy” in the film. Step right up as they bring the Dreamland parade to life, accomplishing the rare marriage of a massive spectacle combined with an emotional tenderness.
Are you going to add the Dumbo live-action film to your collection? What did you think about it?
Special thanks to Wes B., Aaron R. and Nicole S. for supporting me on Patreon.
FTC Disclosure: A copy was provided by the company for the purpose of this review. This post contains affiliate links, which means that ImagiNERDing receives a percentage of sales purchased through links on this site. Thank you for your support!