Doctor Strange on Blu-ray!
Doctor Strange is the latest addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Not familiar with Doctor Strange? You’re not alone. Marvel has been able to take a lot of lesser-known characters and throw them into tremendous movie franchises that lead to the Infinity Wars films. Think about how many films have been made since the introduction of Iron Man in 2008; everything has been working up to the Marvel Infinity Wars movies.
Doctor Steven Strange is a gifted and conceited neurosurgeon with the world at his fingertips. Shortly after his introduction in the film, his physical talent is taken from him. After traditional and experimental medicine fails him, he takes a step into the final option and enters a metaphysical and magical realm.
As part of his journey to regain his hands, he has to relearn everything he knows about nature, the world and science. It’s grueling to see the changes that he goes through and I think this is a testament to Cumberbatch’s acting skills. Overall, everyone in the film does an amazing job with their roles and there are some big names in this film.
Doctor Strange is a gorgeous film, if not one of the most beautiful Marvel films ever made. The magic in the film looks and feels grounded in the natural universe, which sounds strange, even though it works very well. The filmmakers take full advantage of digital art to create a seamless and completely believable world through magic.
I thought the blu-ray extras were well done but not groundbreaking. There are segments on the costuming, creating the worlds and how they brought the characters into the film. The segment on creating the magic and the fighting styles was my favorite; the film is well-grounded with familiar martial arts fighting styles and feels natural. Team Thor: Part 2 was spectacular. My 13-year-old did love the gag reel a lot more than I did.
Doctor Strange Blu-Ray Extra Features
- A Strange Transformation – Open your eye to a new dimension of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and see how the filmmakers brought one of comic books’ greatest characters to life.
- Strange Company – Find out what it’s like for the cast to work on a Marvel film, and how Director Scott Derrickson engineered one of the most ambitious, imaginative films ever.
- The Fabric of Reality – Take a closer look at the movie’s extraordinary sets, meticulously crafted costumes and amazingly detailed production elements.
- Across Time and Space – Explore the countless hours of dance and fight choreography the actors endured in preparation for their physically demanding roles.
- The Score-cerer Supreme – Join Composer Michael Giacchino and a full orchestra during live recording sessions, and experience the movie’s mind-bending music.
- Marvel Studios Phase 3 Exclusive Look – Get an early peek at Marvel’s spectacular upcoming films, including Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther and Avengers: Infinity War.
- Team Thor: Part 2 – See more of the hilarious partnership between Thor and his roommate Darryl in this satirical short.
I saw this film in the theaters and it was one of my least favorite. After watching it a second time on blu-ray, I’ve really come to love the film, the characters and the environment. I think this one stands up there with some of the best of the Marvel films, especially when looked at as part of the entire arc.
I wholeheartedly recommend Doctor Strange on blu-ray.
What did you think about Doctor Strange?
FTC Disclosure: A copy was provided by the publisher for the purpose of this review. This post contains affiliate links, which means that ImagiNERDing receives a percentage of sales purchased through links on this site. Thank you for your support!