One of the biggest complaints about D23 has been that it is very West Coast-centric. Granted, there is a large concentration of Disney fans in the Los Angeles area, especially with all of the Disneyland passholders. With the announcement that D23 would visit Marceline in March, there was hope that there would be other fan events throughout the country.
I have posted a few reviews of the Destination D40 event that was held in May 2011 to celebrate Walt Disney World:
- Disney D-Tales: The Little Things that Tell Big Stories (Jason Surrell, Alex Wright and Jason Grandt)
- The Review of D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Celebration!
- Disney D23 Check-In Material.
D23 has released a schedule of six cities that are going to feature the Disney Fanniversary Celebration.
TO SIX CITIES AROUND THE U.S. THIS SPRING IND23’S DISNEY FANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION
- April 27 – The Walt Disney Studios, Burbank
- April 28 – Walt Disney Family Museum, San Francisco
- May 20 – Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- May 22 – Cherry Lane Theatre, New York City
- June 23 – Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World Resort
- June 24 – Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Disney’s first-ever, full-length animated film which premiered in 1937
- The 1997 launch of Star Tours
- EPCOT Center’s grand opening on October 1, 1982
- The opening of Pirates of the Caribbean in 1967
- Memorable Mickey Mouse cartoons released in 1937, including “Clock Cleaners,” “Hawaiian Holiday,” “Lonesome Ghosts” and “Magician Mickey”
- The 1927 debut of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, who Walt Disney created before Mickey Mouse
- Goofy’s first-ever on-screen appearance, in 1932’s “Mickey’s Revue”
- The seminal science-fiction film TRON, released in 1982
- Unforgettable movies like Aladdin (1992), Pete’s Dragon (1977), The Jungle Book (1967) and Bambi (1942)
- The 1972 premiere of the Main Street Electrical Parade and 1992 debut of Disneyland’s Fantasmic!
- Disney’s Adventure Guide to Florida (imaginerding.com)
- Old Hollywood and Vine Restaurant (disneyfoodreport.com)
- Books About Walt Disney, a Bibliography (imaginerding.com)
- Walt Disney’s EPCOT, a Book Review (imaginerding.com)
- Well That Ain’t Cinderella’s Castle (imaginerding.com)
- Kevin Yee’s Earbook 2011, a Review (imaginerding.com)
- Walt and the Promise of Progress City, a Book Review (imaginerding.com)
- Walt’s Chili and Beans (disneyfoodreport.com)