October 2011 marks the 40th anniversary of the opening of the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida. The Vacation Kingdom has seen a lot of changes over the past four decades and the editorial staff at Imaginerding wants to celebrate the unique and rich history of the resort with a series of posts.
A very special thanks to Celeste Cronrath for designing the series of logos for our posts. Make sure to follow her on Twitter.
When I reviewed the two-disc DVD Magic Kingdom: Imagineering the Magic, I mentioned the Imagineering Art Gallery on the second disc. There are 42 images, in all, and I wanted to share some of my favorite shots. A few of them have been featured in the Art of Walt Disney World by Jeff Kurtti and Bruce Gordon. Some of them I had not seen before.
I would attribute a few of these to Dorothea Redmond. Any ideas?
You can see the post with other images here.
|A great shot of Frontierland. It is hard to see, but it does say “BEAR BAND” on the marquee.|
|A view of the riverfront, pre-Splash Mountain. Notice the Frontierland Station and a town square with a flag pole.|
|A fairly uncluttered view of Tom Sawyer Island. Strange to see it without Big Thunder Mountain Railroad looming over it.|
|A gorgeous rendering of the chalet for the Skyway to Tomorrowland. I do believe that the lady is eating an ice cream and the gentleman has his camera ready.|
|A futuristic view of Tomorrowland. A covered Peoplemover and water. What else do you need to proclaim the future! Based on the separate exits and entrance, I assume that this is a design for a Circle Vision building. Any thoughts?|
- Vintage Walt Disney World Shopping Bag (imaginerding.com)
- Bibliography of Walt Disney World Books (imaginerding.com)
- Imagineering the Magic Kingdom Concept Art Part One (imaginerding.com)
- America The Musical: Celebrating 40 Years of Walt Disney World History (imaginerding.com)
- Your Guide to Walt Disney World 1978: Celebrating 40 Years of Walt Disney World History (imaginerding.com)
- Celebrating 40 Years of Walt Disney World History: Haunted Mansion Details (imaginerding.com)
- Celebrating 40 Years of Walt Disney World: The Making of Disney’s Animal Kingdom (imaginerding.com)
Don’t forget to stop by our site and leave some Disney Geek love!