On a research trip to Walt Disney World, the Imaginerding research scientists were led on a Fantastic Tour of Forgotten Walt Disney World by Foxxfur from Passport to Dreams and Peter Rabbit from Luau Cove Marina. Part of the tour looked at the buildings that remain the Saratoga Springs Resort from the Village Marketplace days. We headed through the side of the Artist’s Palette and passed the Turf Club restaurant. We stepped outside onto the patio dining area and turned right to head down the cement walkway that led to the right of the building.
When we reached the bottom, we were faced with the following view:
We took some more images. There is a set of benches in the area that look over the small grass area that would change the focus of the area. It created a place you could bring the kids and let them run around for a few minutes. You could also relax and enjoy the view of the Sassagoula, sort of.
The following is a satellite image of Saratoga Springs and the Lake Buena Vista Golf Course. The dark ellipse shows the filled-in pool area.
This is a scan of a picture from page 119 of Walt Disney World, the First Decade. We believe that the pool was much larger than the filled-in rectangle we see today. There was also a set of locker rooms located behind the area. This pool was probably used by people playing golf and by the Villa residents located close by.
Looking for more 1970s Walt Disney World?
- The Golf Resort @ 2719 Hyperion by Foxxfur
- Discovery Island: The Early Years by George @ Imaginerding
- Lake Buena Vista Resort Community by George @ Imaginerding
- Chef Mickey’s by George @ Imaginerding
- Disney Village Marketplace by Alison @ Walt Dated World
- The Walt Disney World Village by Foxxfur @ Widen Your World
- WDW Village tag by Foxxfur @ Passport 2 Dreams