The following is a recipe from Walt Disney’s Mickey Mouse Cookbook. You too can make Geppetto’s Gingerbread Cookies at home. Parents, don’t attempt this recipe without your kids’ help!
What you need:
Butter or margarine (for greasing cookie sheets)
1 package (14.5 ounces) gingerbread mix
¼ cup milk
¼ cup salad oil
It’s nice to have 2 cookie sheets so that you can bake the cookies all at once. If you only have 1, though, cut out and bake half the cookies. Remove them from the sheet and let it cool. Then grease it again with butter or margarine. Cut out the rest of the cookies and bake them.
Before putting the cookies into the oven, try adding some of these tasty decorations to the tops to make faces or clothes or pretty designs: crushed peanuts, candies, raisins, miniature marshmallows, chocolate chips, coconut, sprinkles. How many more can you think of? You can also decorate the cooled baked cookies with frosting-filled cake decorating tubes.
What you do with it:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 cookie sheets with a little butter.
2. Pour the gingerbread mix into a large mixing bowl. Add the milk and oil and mix well with a spoon.
3. Remove the dough from the bowl and shape it into a round. Wrap it in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Chill it in the refrigerator until it’s firm, about 1 hour.
4. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll it out with a rolling pin until it’s about ¼ inch thick.
5. Cut out cookies (see pages 28-29) and place them on the cookie sheets with a wide spatula. Leave some room between cookies.
6. Bake for 12 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet.